koi

I'm just a small fish in a small corner of this big Laguna, and this is how I've been swimming it

24 June, 2012

Mer-Nel's of Los Banos Laguna

     Outside the Rizal home, in the structure meant for more exhibits, stand huge posters of the SM series "My City My Home" featuring a descendant of Dr. Rizal, Ms. Barbara Gonzales, and another of a Calamba artist.  The man raved about the scrumptious chocolate cakes of Mer-Nel.  There was a photo of the heart-shaped chocolate cake with what looks like boiled icing? marshmallow?  Perhaps it was because we ended our tour of the shrine at exactly noon, but for other reasons I was curious about this cake.  For one, it seemed to be a town favorite.  I love chocolate and chocolate cake (an understatement, really) so when I hear about ''the best'' then I have to try it.  The attraction too, is that it's homegrown (from Los Banos, but this is their first branch out in SM Calamba).  Bacolod has Caleya's, and for macarons Felicia's. I've already posted about missing Metro Manila's Polly's, Gourmet's Palate, Becky's Kitchen, et al. (newsflash, Purple Oven is coming very soon to Nuvali!).  Since we were already in Calamba, Mer-Nel's was a must-try.

    A quick inquiry with the shrine officer and we were on our way to SM Calamba.  I was hoping it would be a bakeshop just around the city center, to add to its charm. But I suppose having it in SM is actually more convenient. A bit of a turn-off were directions to the cake shop though..."sa 2nd floor katabi ng CR". For the non-Pinoy, CR is "Comfort Room" or the restroom.  And accurate directions are, this cake shop is "next to the restroom". Having been to SM Calamba once before, I knew exactly where the CR's were. They were on the side facing Mt. Makiling.  Right by the window with the nice view of the mountain.  I wasn't fazed though, as the nice lady raved about their cakes---masarap ang cakes nila punta kayo! So we went, thinking maybe the man who mentioned the cake in the advert wasn't paid to rave about it after all (or didn't own the shop). My apologies to you sir, this was just a thought.

    I love their shop! It's small, it IS next to the CR, and it's just a small nook, with one chiller. In the chiller, a small variety of cakes. It includes pandan, ube and other variations on the classic chocolate.  Pressed for time I was quick, choosing their signature heart-shaped chocolate cake.






   And when there is a queue, isn't it a bit more enticing (the first time at least)?  Doesn't it mean, pag pinipilahan, there's a reason?  Love their operation. A simple walk through, order, write your 'message'', maybe sit on one of two stools, and listen for your name. Watch your box being ribboned and you're out.

  Now for the cake itself.  Well, at first, I thought, nothing special...they are actually huge caterers after all, and this tastes like your usual cake found on the regular caterer's buffet.  A chiffon with boiled icing.  BUT, after a few bites...the cake grew on me. I enjoyed it...and realized it reminded me of ...childhood in Manila! It was tasty after all.  I'm not a fan of the cake itself, but in combination with the chocolate frosting, it was yummy and addictive.  I would buy this again and maybe try their other cakes.  Prices are good, too. This medium heart was Php 195, a smaller one Php 125.    
  

2 comments:

  1. The cake is affordable for Php 195. A Red Ribbon chocolate cake costs around Php 45.

    My friend from Laguna is also raving about Mer-Nel's. Haven't tried it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Badet. I think you mean a Red Ribbon cake is around Php 450.?

      Well, if you're ever at SM Calamba then you can try it. I wouldn't go out of my way to go get it (still a trip from where I am), but it's an okay cake:-)

      I see you have a toddler. Do visit my other blog www.manilaoldermother.blogspot.com

      Delete