koi

I'm just a small fish in a small corner of this big Laguna, and this is how I've been swimming it

16 February, 2012

Sunday, Feb 5 : Herbana Farms


     We might be "organic romantics" as the generous farmer surmised...but it's a start.  I came for the lure of a "Community Garden" and a "Kids Garden". The latter having been my dream for over a decade now.  Farming, I know, is hard work. It is especially difficult in our climate.  But that day, we remained very cool and comfy. We listened intently to Mr. Carandang as we toured his farm for nearly two hours, and left feeling even more refreshed than when we arrived.
 
    The adults had not had any water to drink but we did not feel thirst.  As we walked, he handed out petals, leaves, and fruit to taste.  There were pretty flowers to make salads both colorful and tasty.  Some were crunch and juicy. The kids harvested kale, carrots, and pepper.  And we learned so much more about true organically grown crops, practices for sustainable farming, and compost.  

    We really appreciated the tour and talk.  My husband noted how "Mr. Carandang is a man who really loves the land...did you see how he held up the soil? It's a true passion". 
  
    If we had not the kid, we would certainly avail of the volunteer program to live and work on the farm.  But then for a growing number of people, the kid would be part of, if not the reason for shifting lifestyles. 

    I learned new things like zoning of plots, and following the direction of the wind.  I wonder if they farm according to phases of the moon, as well.

 Pulling out a carrot

      While at the time of our visit, the parts of the farm for us to see were in down time, we are certain that by May when they hold a Harvest Festival the land will be lush. Actually with all the interesting and beneficial vegetation at every step it already was, to our minds.

    On this farm's  website says it accepts donations. You know what, if I had won tonight's lottery, I would support this.  Our children need to learn from this farm.  And it's not far from Sta. Rosa. http://www.herbanafarm.org
It's not even far from Metro Manila. It's in Calamba, just along the road to Tagaytay Highlands.


     I forgot to get the Gotu Kola natural memory enhancer for my dad.
Oh, I guess make that for ME, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment