koi

I'm just a small fish in a small corner of this big Laguna, and this is how I've been swimming it

04 February, 2012

Nyuh Kuning


My mom calls this the Golden Coconut. The tree in the background has grown so much taller since we first moved in nearly three years ago, and golden yellow coconuts have hung heavy on it since last year.  I have always taken yellow ones like these for granted. How ignorant of me. I have also only recently learned that the 'macapuno' is NOT just an ice cream version of coconut, nor a gelatin but an actual variant of coconut. So much to learn.

Meanwhile, these golden "nuts" --the coconut nut is not really nut as a fun song (by Ryan Cayabyab?) reminds us--according to mom, the helper, and just yesterday, the village garden maintenance man, tastes just like the regular buko if not better.

I so enjoy cutting and pruning plants, and snuck out to trim a "mussaenda" hedge out front.  It wasn't really a good time considering I had other chores to do.  I was just wondering how to prune correctly to promote lush growth, when along came the gentle giant Mang P--- pedaling cheerfully on a bicycle. After answering my question he took the shears from me saying "let's level it off".  Well, I missed my cutting opportunity but it was good to have the job done and quick.  As might be obvious from my blogging abstention, I just have no time to leisurely cut/trim/rake/sweep/plant, or engage in whatever it is I think is real "gardening".

Then he noticed the coconuts and pulled one out for me. The beauty of this tree is that the coconuts hang low, no monkey-climbing up a tall tree.  However, "Pulling" is not so simple...it's more like twisting and tugging to harvest the darned thing.  I also have no idea how to know when a coconut is ripe!  He insisted on having me try the juice with my child, but of course I insisted he take more for he and his sidekick to take home.  Now I have to remind the actual woman who planted it---my landlord's caretaker--to get her coconuts.

Anyway, too many words again, when all I really need to say is the juice is really good and refreshing. I even enjoyed hacking away at the coconut (I had never before tried to open a coconut), trying not think about how on earth to open it without a knife.

And my kid? Her eyes bugged out seeing the open coconut; she invited me to "sit down and drink it 'geder mama, pink straw for you and green for me" and then actually, selfishly pushing me away to have most of the juice herself.  I'm so glad she loves her buko juice, and so grateful.  Imagine all the people in North America who are only just now grabbing for tetra-packs of "coconut water" after learning of its superior rehydration benefits.  Wish they could have it fresh.

Oh, the title...I could only think "Nyuh Kuning", which if I spelled it right, translates to Golden or Yellow Coconut in Bahasa Indonesia.  Nyuh Kuning happens to also be the barangay in Bali where the kid was conceived.  No wonder she's into buko.

No comments:

Post a Comment