koi

I'm just a small fish in a small corner of this big Laguna, and this is how I've been swimming it

20 August, 2013

Fishing in Santa Rosa

     Just learned from a certified life saver that they drove towards Santa Rosa yesterday to check the road situation. Their chapter (from Silang) was not called to help this time. Apparently they did some rescuing in Marikina during Ondoy.  When she texted "GOD HELP THEM", I thought, oh dear...poor Santa Rosa...what happened.  I have not really seen pictures of the place. In the news there was video footage of Binan's floods, a clip of Binan's mayor doing inspections.  All I could imagine was perhaps news teams had difficulty even reaching Santa Rosa.

    My concern was calmed after life saver friend replied that what they saw was people happily fishing on the streets. That's the Filipino for you. Thank goodness (sometimes) for this attitude.  (An aside, this calls to mind what I found in my files recently...an essay I wrote for the university paper--that's 20+ years ago--about the Filipino's smiles in times of trouble).

    Unfortunately, I do not have any interesting photos to post with this post.  In my younger, childless years, I would have gone out during the lull to take photos.  In our former location in Makati, I did take photos of the flooding outside our home, similar to what this friend-i've-never-met-except-in-the-santa rosa-blogosphere has posted:

http://returnedretiree.blogspot.com/2013/08/rain.html

     Dear retiree friend, I was shocked too to see your photos.  I have not seen pics of Santa Rosa these past two days. Well, I have not actually searched online.  I did think of you all day yesterday, knowing you are in the bayan area. Shocked, yet relieved to see you are okay. Stay safe.
P.S. I am not a fan of Wagner; but the description coupled with "rain rage" is so apt, in my humble opinion, and would now like to put some of that music on.

   Now back to fishing in Santa Rosa streets...I wonder what the catch is.  I would like to know HOW they're catching the fish.  Mudfish, maybe.  How are the koi in Nuvali?  I've coincidentally sent my husband to shop for groceries, telling him to ignore the fresh seafood section, as prices are surely up owing to the constant rains.

No comments:

Post a Comment