koi

I'm just a small fish in a small corner of this big Laguna, and this is how I've been swimming it

31 August, 2012

Golden Coconuts--AGAIN!

     Let's not take them for granted!  Just one tree in the yard, continuously bursting with the golden orbs since February (see that post Nyuh Kuning).

      Today I "harvested" a bunch, twisting them off one by one as the kid cheered "go mama!go mama!".  A Korean father with his toddler on his back walked closer to the corner, staring.  There's this look I see on foreigners who walk by the tree.  They look up at the fruits with a mixture of curiosity and certainty. They are certain there is deliciousness inside.  Curious because they most likely do not have coconut trees in their gardens in their countries...the Frenchman, the Korean elderly lady, the group of men walking home from sport.  Each time I harvested since February, I have given some away. To the Thai neighbor who cooked with it, to the Indonesian neighbor who misses it.  And of course to the giddy helper next door, who has decided to plant one.
Nobody has really asked. All it takes is the way they look at it.  

    Maybe the forbidden fruit in the Garden of Eden was actually a golden coconut. But then how did primitive man open this before the advent of the bolohttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolo_knife or itak?

    Anyway, I have seen said Korean's toddler with his mother, but recently, dad strolls with him.  Father looks quite serious, but this morning as he stood closer, I glanced at him, and he smiled.  Coconut, of course.  You want? He dashed over, and bowed his thanks repeatedly.  I watched him hold the gold up in his palm, examining it.

   Now if only the manang (older woman) helper who planted this tree was still here to enjoy it too. I hope she is well.

   As for me, I love the way it feels, twisting the heavy coconut till it snaps off its ''cord".  It serves the wannabe farm girl in me. And I do get really really pleased handing them out to grateful neighbors.  This is cheezy, but...well, this gold makes me feel rich.

   (and if I finally get my very own farm, I will plant my favorites--golden coconuts and malunggay. and hopefully actually get rich. haha. Just had to counter the cheese.)

No comments:

Post a Comment